Penmaenmawr Town Council

Penmaenmawr has a population of 4,353 (2011 Census) and for local government purposes the town is divided into three wards. The town has 13 councillors representing the following wards – Penmaenan, Pant-yr-Afon, and Capelulo.

The Council at its Annual Meeting in May elects a Town Mayor and Deputy Mayor. The Town Mayor receives an allowance to cover the costs involved in undertaking civic duties. This year this amount is £1500. Councillors are entitled to an allowance of £150 per year towards the additional costs of being a Councillor, and may claim reimbursement for out of pocket expenses, such as travelling outside of the Town Council area. The Council currently employs three members of staff; the Town Clerk and two part time Civic Pride Wardens.

Penmaenmawr Town Council usually meets every three weeks. Meetings start at 6.30pm and are held at Penmaenmawr Community Centre in the Council Chamber. Anyone wishing to attend with a mobility issue please contact the clerk so arrangements can be made for you. To contact the Clerk, call 01492 623221 or email [email protected] If you wish to speak to the Council on any matter, there is a public participation slot at the beginning of the meeting. Please contact the clerk at least 5 working days prior to the meeting to make arrangements to speak. Please refer to the Meetings page for the dates of forthcoming meetings

The Model Publication Scheme

The Council is obliged to adopt a Publication Scheme and provide details of the information which is routinely available to the public.

View the current Publication Scheme and a summary of the information available.

Disclosure of all payments over £500
Government Guidelines has suggested that all Councils inform ratepayers of all expenditure over £500 to their ratepayers. Whilst this is not a legal requirement at the moment, Penmaenmawr Town Council are a proactive and an open Town Council and listed below are all payments to suppliers and contractors which is over £500.

Regulation 15(1) of the Accounts and Audit (Wales) Regulations 2014 (as amended) requires that Responsible Financial Officer of Penmaenmawr Town Council sign and date the statement of accounts, and certify that it presents fairly the financial position of Penmaenmawr Town Council at the end of the year and the Council’s income and expenditure for the year. The Regulations required that this be completed by 30 June 2020.

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the Responsible Financial Officer has been unable to prepare the accounts. The statement of accounts will be prepared, and the Responsible Financial Officer will sign and certify the statement of accounts when the immediate pressures of the COVID-19 outbreak have subsided.

The Town Council has the authority to operate under the Local Government Act of 1972. It must conform to all aspects of that Act and any subsequent Acts. The Town Council have formulated a range of policies and they can be accessed below

Penmaenmawr Town Council Standing Orders

Councillors must ensure that they operate within the Code of Conduct.

A Register of Members' Interests is held by the Clerk for all Councillors. This is to ensure that Councillors do not discuss or vote on any item that they themselves or members of their immediate family, have a personal interest in. It is up to the Councillors to ensure that they complete this form and hand it to the Clerk.

At every meeting, Councillors must disclose if there is any item up for discussion that they have a prejudicial interest in. A disclosure form must be signed and is filed by the Clerk after the meeting. This form is called the Notification of Personal Interest form, and the onus is on the Councillor to declare if they have an interest.

Standing Orders Privacy Notice
Register of Members Interest Form
Register of Members Interest
Notification of Personal Interest form
Notice of Appointment


Annually, by law, the Council must review a series of Policies. Some of these are listed below

Annual Investment Strategy Anti-harassment & Bullying Policy
Children and Vulnerable Adults Policy Climate Change Policy
Code of Conduct Complaints
E-Mail Etiquette Policy Equal Opportunities Policy
Financial Regulations Financial Risk Assessment Policy
Protocol on Member/Officer Relations Publications Policy
Document Retention Policy Safeguarding Policy

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I get access to put up a notice in a Town Council Notice board?

A: The simplest way is to email a copy to [email protected] Give plenty of time as sometimes it may take a few days to be put up. In Dwygyfylchi a key is available at the Chocolate Box. This board is managed by the community so please be respectful of other people's notices. If you intend to leave it up for some time lamination will help to preserve it.

Q: How do I raise an issue with the Council?

A: The first step is to explain the problem in as much detail as possible to a local Councillor, or write to the Council as a whole addressed to the Town Clerk. The matter will be placed on the Agenda for discussion at the next meeting – the Minutes will be published and you will be advised of the outcome.

Q: Can I attend a Council Meeting?

A: Members of the public are welcome to attend and they have a 15 minute opportunity to present their query/concerns to the Town Councillors who can then ask questions and deal with their concerns. Please note this is 15 minutes in total for any member of the public so if the Council receive three requests then they are allowed 5 minutes each. In accordance with good practice, any member of the public wishing to address the Town Council, must do so in writing (letter or email) at least 5 clear working days before the meeting so the Agenda can list the item within the statutory 72 hour notice period in the Town Council’s window.

Q: How do I become a Councillor?

A: Elections are held every 4 years. The next election will be in May 2022, and if you would like to become a Councillor, you have to complete the necessary forms with Conwy County Borough Council and ensure that they are returned within the given period. Another way to become a Councillor is that if there is a vacancy due to a current Councillor resigning, then you could request to be co-opted to the Council. For this to take place, there must be a vacancy and of course you must apply in writing to the Clerk.

Q: Do Councillors get paid?

A: No, however, Councillors are entitled to an allowance of £150 per year. Expenses may also be re-imbursed if a Councillor is requested to attend a meeting on behalf of the Council, but any travelling within the ward itself does not receive reimbursement.